Cathey Webster Forrest, Rowdy Layton, and Shannon Walker will appear on the ballot [PDF], and all three have agreed to respond to our “20 Questions with the Candidates.” So, here’s your chance to learn about the candidates who have offered to serve you for the coming five years.
We will be sending them identical questionnaires—our version of 20 Questions— in the coming days. They will then have a set period of time to respond to our questions, and then we’ll post their unedited answers here so that you, the voters of the Welch school district, can make an informed and educated decision about the next person to win a five-year school board seat.
Here’s your opportunity to participate. What do you want to know about the candidates? What information will help you decide who’s the best person for the job? What qualities in the candidates will make our school stronger? Mull it over and send the questions you’d like answered to us at info[at]WelchOK[dot]com. You may also submit a question to the KVWO Listener Line via text or voicemail at 903-354-KVWO (5896). We’ll sort through them and select the most incisive and illuminating questions to forward on to the candidates. We will not identify who submitted what questions.
KVWO and WelchOK.com will not be endorsing a candidate in the race. All our efforts are simply to help you be the best-informed voter you can be. So, fire up those keyboards and send us your questions. We’ll accept submissions until noon, Tue., Feb. 6, 2018.
Just a few things to keep in mind as you ponder your questions:
- Ask questions that are designed to illicit information that will help you decide who would best serve as a school board member.
- Submit as many questions as you like.
- Avoid sending questions that are designed to have one candidate attack the other.
- Keep in mind that each questionnaire will be identical. Ask questions in such a way that it applies to all candidates.
- All questions must be submitted via email or the KVWO Listener Line at 903-354-KVWO (5896).
- Let’s keep it fair. Do not share what questions you have submitted, and do not post your questions in the comments section of this post, on Facebook, or elsewhere. That could give one candidate an unfair advantage.
- Keep it classy. No boxers or briefs questions. Period.
Thanks to the candidates for putting themselves out there and taking part in this effort. May the best candidate win.
Polls will be open 7 a.m.-7 p.m, Tue. Feb. 13, 2018. The deadline to request an absentee ballot is 5 p.m., Feb. 7, 2018, and early voting will take place from 8 am-6 p.m., Feb. 8 and 9, 2018. You must have registered to vote by Jan. 19.